The Thamarurr Men’s Shed Program has been chosen by community leaders as a means of improving the health and wellbeing of men in the community, and thereby the health and wellbeing of children, women and families whom are interconnected. The ovverarching goals, objectives and outcomes of the Men’s Shed:
- Foster greater leadership and capacity of men in the community.
- Improved health and wellbeing of participants. • Creation of more positive spaces within Wadeye, including improvement of home life for children, women and families.
- Reduced rates of domestic and family violence, crime and incarceration
- Local control and leadership – empowering local men to take ownership of the project and make it what they want it to be.
- Enabling the organic nature of a Men’s Shed – resisting a prescriptive approach to allow priorities to evolve and change e.g. men may choose to focus on health issues and later seek to develop employment skills. They may also have periods where they simply meet and yarn.
- Yarning circles – facilitating this practice that allows men to recall cultural stories and talk about the social determinants that impact their lives. Provide opportunities for safe and informal learning – some men may have an aversion to formal learning and men’s sheds can allow them to pursue their interests in a safe space.
- Culturally appropriate ways to promote self-esteem and identity, that lead to positive mental and physical health and benefits to the broader community, particularly children and families.
Products for Sale
The Wadeye Men’s Shed sells unique one off pieces, for more information and availble stock please email firstname.lastname@example.org
Please see below some examples of our creations below on our Instagram page.